Background

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Whole Wheat Sugar Cookies

 

Okay, I have to admit it- I have the biggest sweet tooth! I love to have a nice dessert after dinner. But, all of that sweetness is catching up with me :( So I need to compromise, right? 
So, lately I have been experimenting with recipes that still let me enjoy a yummy dessert, but are healthier. Enter:
I've never used whole wheat flour! I've been kind of intimidated by it! But I was low on white flour, and knew the health benefits of using wheat over white. So to google I went in search of a recipe I could make, with all ingredients I have on hand. I came across several recipes for sugar cookies. Some had things I didn't have in my pantry, so I mix and matched recipes and came up with this one. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 c. butter (I used Can't Believe it's Not Butter Squeeze- was out of butter!)
2 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
2 c. whole wheat flour
2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Make It: 
 Preheat oven to 375. Add the first 9 ingredients to a large bowl
 Mix well
 Slowly add the flour in and mix
 Yum! I LOVE cookie batter! Yes, I know, I know.....

 Shape dough in to 1" balls. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl
 Roll the dough balls in the sugar-cinnamon mix and coat well
 Place on cookie sheet and slightly flatten
 Looks good! BTW, I love-love-love my Pampered Chef stones. Yes, they aren't pretty for my photography purposes. But they are my favorite pieces of bakeware. So ignore my brown, well-seasoned cookie sheet :)
 Bake for 8-11 minutes (I did 11). Cool and enjoy. They will be soft in the center

 I really enjoyed these! Not as sweet as my normal sugar cookies. They actually taste a lot like snickerdoodles. But with low-fat butter, less sugar, and whole wheat flour, they were much healthier!

No Sew Roman Shades!


 

Hi everyone! Sorry it's been a little while since a post has been made. I've been busy with a full kitchen remodel! Fun, yet stressful! It's almost complete and I can't wait to show it off!

I needed a few good ideas for window coverings. So, I scoured pinterest for ideas and came across this great idea for no sew Roman shades. It was perfect- easy, inexpensive, and I had all of the materials, except the fabric. A quick run to Hobby Lobby and I found the perfect fabric!

Supplies:
A set of cheap mini blinds (the width of your window)
Scissors
Fabric Glue
Fabric (you will need it to be the length of your window and the width, plus 2 inches)

Make it:
Begin by popping off the little caps on the bottom of the blinds. Set aside (you will need it later). Pull off the bottom bar and set aside.

 Begin cutting the ladder cords off. DON'T cut the larger thick cord- that's the pull cord (raises and lowers blinds). Just cut the thinner ones off. Then remove all of the slats.
 Decide on how many slats you want for your shade. And how far apart you want the folds. I kept 4 slats and made them about 6" apart (I used a hair dye box to measure it. Yep, silly but worked!
 Reattach the bottom bar. Then prepare the fabric by folding and gluing the edges to have a nice hem. Keep the fabric 1/4"-1/2" wider than the blinds, however (I kept too much on accident)
 Now, it's time to attach the fabric to the blinds. Space out your slats evenly. Put a good amount of glue on the curved part of the blind slat (the side that bumps out), but not by the pull cord. Press the slat onto the fabric and smooth out. Repeat with all of the slats.
 Now, the site I got the idea from left their shade like that. But I didn't want my neighbors staring at an unfinished side. So I glued on a piece of white fabric to the back so it looks finished. It's not necessary, but you can see the window from our neighbor's kitchen.
 Now hang up and enjoy!! You will notice how mine overhangs the window too much. But it's not too bad and not enough for me to re-do everything :)
This is the shade folded up
 And the shade lowered down

 And for our other two windows, I made simple valances to match. Just used fusible web to make a hem and a pocket for the curtain rod. Easy, peasy.