Background

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Maternity Halloween Shirt

DIY Maternity Shirt for Halloween



While searching for maternity costumes for Halloween, we stumbled across many DIY ideas on Pinterest. Some were very cute, some more gruesome, some just ridiculous! We decided that we liked the basic Maternity Skeleton shirt the best, and it was fairly easy and cheap to make. Searching for a template for our skeleton wasn't so easy. Many bloggers posted their great pictures, but didn't have a template to follow. When we found this wonderful blog, we were excited she had a great idea for the template!

To make the costume, you will need the following:

  • A black shirt
  • Fabric paint (White and pink)
  • Foam paintbrushes
  • Exacto knife
  • Freezer paper
  • Optional tulle, ribbon, or fabric for a tie (if a baby boy)
  • Iron
First step is tracing the template onto the freezer paper. We opened these pictures into Gimp (free online editing) and blew them up to the size we wanted.  So, just click on each one to make larger, save to your computer, and upload to the program you chose.

We taped freezer paper onto the computer monitor and traced each picture onto the paper. Super easy!

Next, was the most time-consuming part: cutting out the template. Using a very sharp exacto-knife, we were able to easily do this. It took awhile- the baby skeleton's fingers and toes weren't so easy!

 Once the template was all cut out, we were ready to begin ironing on the freezer paper. First, turn your shirt inside out and iron on a piece of freezer paper to the shirt. This will catch any paint that will bleed through the shirt.
 Then turn shirt back the right way and iron the template onto the shirt (shiny side down).
 Our original blogger didn't put the face on the baby. We cut out the eyes, nose, and mouth and put it on our baby. Once you paint, you can peel them off to expose the black.

 Once the stencil has cooled, you can begin to paint. We began by dabbing on paint, as you would a stencil.
 That technique worked well, but was rather light. We put two more layers on with this method, and it was still light...
We then decided to slather the paint on really thick.
 So here is where we messed up. I'm sharing this to save you the grief we went through the next day :) If you choose to slather it on, let it dry to just tacky and remove the stencil. Our mistake? We left it on overnight. Have you ever painted a room and left the painter's tape on too long? Same concept- the paint stuck to the stencil and removing it was so hard!! We couldn't tell where the stencil was and where the paint was.

After peeling, scoring, and guessing for awhile, we were able to remove the whole stencil. Several layers of paint ended up peeled off the edges. So, in the picture below, is how the baby looked. I thought some of the bones looked neat, like they were shaded. But the ribs looked horrible.

I then decided to take our fabric paint and trace the outlines of the bones, to fill in the missing parts. That worked pretty good.

Let dry (again) and Ta-Da! Shirt is all done! Our original blogger didn't know the sex of her baby, so the baby part was plain. We knew I was having a girl, so we "girled" it up :) Beth sowed a bow and tu-tu on from some tulle. This completely made the shirt even more awesome! Of course, if you are having a boy, you could make a little bowtie or blue rattle and that would be adorable. I love our tu-tu! I've seen these shirts with the hair bow, but never a tu-tu!
 Our finished product :) Ignore the lovely background (I was at work getting ready to take the kids to our church party)! I received so many compliments there and people couldn't believe we made this. So cute!!





No comments:

Post a Comment